Monday, May 24, 2010

iPearl

After a week on Manihi Atoll we are making passage to Tahiti Island. 266 miles between way points. The grib file shows light winds. Before we shoved off I traded a 16GB IPod with the black pearl fatso. He got the best deal and he doesn't know it yet-- I left him all my Antony and the Johnsons and Eurythmics albums. He said pointing to my giant bag of pearls, "Girlfriend like very much!" What a presumptuous jerk.

A Remora was living under Alobar. I guess the fish thinks we are a shark. He comes out to grab anything I throw off the side. He likes egg shells but doesn't like onion, FYI. Trumpet Fish also hang out, friendly little guys, but they look like they could just as easily have been named Enema Fish. Therefore, I don't go swimming. I'm not sure if they will follow us across to the Society Islands. I wouldn't recommend it to them. We are headed to Papeete the largest city around; an unlikely home for crystal clear water.

It's exciting to think of going to a big city. Capt. Joel plans to stay there for a bit to wait on parts. The island purportedly has internet and American fast-food. We have even been warned about crime. But I'm not worried, I know there is only one way I can die: A coconut falling on my head. That way at my funeral people can say, "He died the way he lived, absurdly."

No comments:

Post a Comment